Manchester United have insisted there is no chance of them selling winger Cristiano Ronaldo.
The 21-year-old Portugal star’s future has been in doubt since he made it clear he wanted a move to Spain.
But a Manchester United statement said: “The club can confirm there is no possibility of Cristiano being sold.
“Cristiano recently signed a contract until 2010 and the club expects him to honour that contract. The club will not listen to any offers for Cristiano”.
Ronaldo has been criticised in England for his role in the sending off of United team-mate Wayne Rooney when Portugal beat England in the World Cup quarter-final.
In the aftermath of that outcry he said: “I should get out of Manchester as the circumstances are not right.
“Nobody stood up for me and my desire is to play in Spain. Will it be Real or Barcelona? It will be one of them.”
Ronaldo also claimed: “For some time I haven’t had any support from my chief executive (David Gill) or my coach (Sir Alex Ferguson). They should have come out in my defence but no-one did.”
However, on Wednesday, the Manchester United winger appeared to have had a change of heart.
“I have no reasons to leave the club which has always supported me and has always helped me to evolve as a player,” he said.
“There are no final decisions yet. Things will be worked out next week. I want to do this the right way. If I end up staying, that’s fine. If I leave, that’s fine too.”
Ferguson said last week that he expected the player to report for pre-season training.
And it has been reported that he despatched his assistant Carlos Queiroz, who has always enjoyed a close personal relationship with Ronaldo, to smooth relations.
To catch the latest news on Man Utd., visit the hottest soccer fan site on the net right now, Ji-SungPark.com , with its dedicated RSS feed.